Let’s face it. Most all of us struggle to keep prayer a priority. Here are thirteen reasons that can keep you motivated.
- God wants us to seek after Him in prayer. Luke 11:5-13; Psalm 105:4; Hebrews 11:6
- My relationship with God deepens through prayer. Psalm 34:1-8; John 5:19; Jude 1:20-21
- I obtain more Spiritual power, wisdom, faith, perspective, etc. when I pray. Luke 11:13; Mark 9:29; Acts 4:31; Matthew 26:41; James 1:5
- I engage in the historic, epic battle in the heavenly places when I pray, which changes history on Earth. Daniel 10:12-14; Ephesians 6:12, 18
- Prayer is an important part of our mission. I am partnering with God in His work on Earth when I pray. Prayer is the one of the primary means by which God accomplishes His ends. Acts 6:4; John 14:13-14; 1 John 5:14-15; Revelation 5:8; 8:3-4; Psalm 2:8; James 4:2
- A special presence and power of God is present when we pray with others. Matthew 18:20
- In both OT and NT and in Church history, God’s powerful, faithful believers prayed much more than American Christians typically do – 2-3 times per day and sometimes for several hours at a time or all night long. Exodus 33:11; Psalm 27:4; Daniel 6:10; Luke 612; 18:7; 1 Timothy 5:5; Acts 2:42, 46; 10:9, 30
- Use the full array of prayer: worship (Psalm 100), intercession (standing for someone or something else; Isaiah 59:16), petition (Philippians 4:6), repentance (Nehemiah 14:11; Daniel 9:4-19).
- Prayer sometimes requires persistence and impudence. Luke 11:8-9; Luke 18:1-8; Exodus 32:7-14; Hebrews 5:7
- Prayer is a barometer of my faith. If I’ve lost prayer, I’ve lost faith. Luke 18:8; Hebrews 11:6.
- God’s grace doesn’t relieve us from the responsibility to pray; it empowers us to pray and provides us even greater access to God and more of His grace. Hebrews 4:14-16; Romans 5:2; 8:15
- Some grace is only gained when we ask in Jesus’ name. Romans 5:2; James 4:1-10
- Prayer should be in the Spirit, so I shouldn’t engage only my mind but my heart and spirit as well. Romans 8:26-27; Jude 1:20; Ephesians 6:18; 1 Corinthians 14:15
FREE OFFER: Get the "Seeking God Lifestyle" Bible Course Manual. Download this 67-page, 5-lesson course in PDF format.