The Joshua Faith Challenge is an important part of the Great Experiment.
Joshua and Caleb were known for their bold faith in God (Numbers 13-14:38). They were not afraid to enter into the land God had promised, even though many mighty nations lived there. Joshua and Caleb were eager to obey God and take on whatever challenge He called them to face.
We need many believers today who are bold and courageous like Joshua and Caleb. As part of the Great Experiment, seek God for the faith challenge He is putting before you. As you pray, consider the following possibilities, and be inspired by these actual examples submitted by participants. Perhaps you will feel compelled to take on one of these challenges or maybe the Lord will bring something else to mind. Write down your challenge and step into His call.
Note: To inspire you to have victory over the fear of man, we encourage you to read Nicodemus: A Treatise Against the Fear of Man by August Hermann Francke (PDF, 93 pages). This book was instrumental for evangelists like George Whitefield and John Wesley.
- Set a goal for the number of people you will share the gospel with.
- Send a link to a gospel presentation via email or social media to friends and family who don’t know Jesus. See ideas here.
- Send your friend a Christian book. Here are a few books you may consider sending:
The Reason for God by Tim Keller (310 pages)
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (227 pages)
More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell (192 pages)
- Start an Alpha Course.
- Share the gospel with every person in your family or in your office or on your team, etc.
- Share the gospel in a scary, new or different setting (with a taxi cab driver? On the plane, elsewhere?)
- Invite someone to church you’ve never invited before.
- Rent a billboard or buy ad space in your local newspaper to promote the gospel or print a Bible verse.
- Working with your church’s leadership, commit to start a new prayer group in your church.
- Start a daily or weekly prayer group in your workplace.
- Begin praying with your spouse or family every day.
- Plan a night in which you can pray all night long instead of sleeping (on your own or with family and friends).
- Hold your own prayer vigil, midnight to 3 am, ten days in a row.
- Pray for healing for every sick person you see.
- Commit to read through the entire Bible in one year. (PDF, 1 page).
- Commit to read through the entire New Testament in one month: BiblePlan.org
- Commit to read through the entire Bible in 90 days: BiblePlan.org, BibleGateway.com.
- Begin a Bible study for your family, your workplace, your team, etc.
- For this month, give two or three times your normal giving amount - really stretch yourself for generosity!
- Commit to give away 20% or more of your income by the end of the year.
- Make a sacrificial donation to a Christian ministry, church, or missionary.
- As per Jesus’ instruction to the rich man, give all of your possessions away.
- Undertake a short, intense fast (three days, water only) or a long fast of 10, 21, or 40 days.
- Invite a friend or small group of friends to fast with you for a set period of time.
Sign up for an online course or read a book to learn more about dreams, prophecy, inner healing, healing, or deliverance.
Christian Healing Ministries - founded by Francis and Judith MacNutt
Website with training, conferences, ministry, and resources about healing prayer.
The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson (308 pages)
Harmful habits, negative thinking, and irrational feelings can all lead to sinful behavior and keep you in bondage. If you feel trapped by any of these strongholds in your life, know that you are not alone—you can break free. Anderson offers a holistic approach to spiritual warfare that is rooted in the Word of God.
Surprised by the Voice of God by Jack Deere (384 pages)
Surprised by the Voice of God takes you to the Bible to discover the variety of creative, deeply personal ways God still communicates with us today. Jack Deere first describes the ways God revealed his thoughts to first-century Christians. Then he tells why God continues to speak to us using the same methods. Finally Deere tells how accurately God speaks through prophecies, dreams, visions, and other forms of divine communication.
Inner Healing by Mike Flynn and Doug Gregg (222 pages)
This straightforward handbook shows how God can set a new course for our lives and provides us the tools necessary to embark on a journey of inner healing. Writing from a biblical perspective which seeks to correct common myths and misunderstandings about this vital ministry, Flynn and Gregg's work will be valued both by those who want to help their hurting friends and neighbors and by those who are seeking healing in their own lives.
Healing by Francis MacNutt (274 pages)
This bestselling book provides a context within which to understand healing. MacNutt covers topics that include the basis of the healing ministry, kinds of healing, and the connections between sacraments and healing. MacNutt discusses new discoveries of connections between the spiritual and the physical, including scientific inquiries into the healing power of prayer.
They Shall Expel Demons by Derek Prince (256 pages)
What are demons? How to demons gain entry into people’s lives? Do Christians ever need deliverance from demons? In this biblically based book, Derek Prince answers these and other questions. He points out that "Jesus never sent anyone out to preach the Gospel without specifically instructing and equipping them to take action against demons in the same way that He Himself did."
- Take drastic action against any lingering private sin that has remained in your life. Seek counseling, accountability, prayer, deliverance, etc.
- Confess your sins to a trusted mentor, pastor, Christian friend, or publicly.
- Commit to start a small group for accountability and personal holiness. For example the Wesley Class Meeting format.
- Sign up for a short-term mission trip. Check with your local church or partner with an existing missions agency such as ShortTermMissions.com
- Register for a weeklong Christian conference/retreat for yourself and your whole family, such as Christian Union Summer Getaway at Camp-of-the-Woods in the Adirondack mountains of upstate New York, July 13-20, 2019.
- Forgive anyone whom you have not yet forgiven. If necessary, contact that person to let them know that you forgive them.
- Seek forgiveness from anyone whom you have wronged. Do whatever is necessary to make right any wrong you have done.
- Ask your pastor to bring to your church a revival ministry like Life Action Ministries to schedule special revival-themed events.
- Involve others in the Day and Night movement by encouraging them to sign up for the Prayer Team or participate in the next Fast or Great Experiment.
Looking for more inspiration? Have a look at some actual Joshua Faith Challenges submitted by past participants of the Great Experiment.